Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Feeling winded....

I am starting to feel a little emotionally and physically winded, if that makes sense. With all that is going on, I'm just so exhausted, and I'm having a hard time keeping up.
Russell's mom, Penny, was diagnosed with an acute leukemia (the bad kind) on the 6th. She went into the hospital last Friday where she will spend the next five weeks. The first seven days in the hospital she will be taking chemo 24 hours a day, nonstop. The next four weeks are to monitor her, to make sure her body starts to build back up an immune system. The chemo she is taking is very strong. On top of preparing to go into the hospital last week, she had to have a small surgery. This would typically be no big deal, but they couldn't stitch it normally, so it's still an open wound. She is still in a lot of pain from that, and very uncomfortable in the hospital. She is in isolation, to try and keep her away from as many germs as possible. Her husband, sons, myself, and her best friend are allowed to go see her. We have to wear a mask, gown, gloves, etc to go see her. She has been running a fever of 103 degrees since Friday, which is scary. In the end, we have been told this is the worst kind of cancer for her to have, but after all of this is done, she will have a 90 % chance of going into remission. That, of course, was the best news we could get. After these five weeks are up, she will get to go home for three weeks, and then back to the hospital for five days. That will happen two more times - three weeks home, hospital for a week. After this cycle is over, we are hopeful she will be okay. She is very strong, so it has been difficult to see her in this condition. We are looking forward to her homecoming right before Christmas, and hopeful that she will feel up to celebrating on Christmas day.
In other news, I am going to a new neurologist on the 24th. My seizures are still occurring, so Russell feels a new doctor is necessary. I'm sure he's right, but I am very hesitant. I think a new doctor will make me stop driving for at least six months. Been there, done that, not wanting to do it again! I am hoping he will have some answers for me, that don't involve restricting my freedom!
My kids are taking a test right now, ahhh...silence. If I could, I would just go over to my big rocking chair just a few feet away and fall asleep...but they might notice. Next week is Thanksgiving break. Half of my family will be here, and the other half will be relaxing in Arkansas. Russell and I have been so torn about where we should be. We want so badly to go to Arkansas, where it's chilly, the leaves are changing colors, and we can enjoy the big cabin. But, with his mom sick, and my grandmother in bad health, we know we need to be here. So, this is where we will be. I guess I'll just look at pictures from Arkansas last year instead. I keep trying to remind myself that Arkansas is evil, it's where I fell off the horse last year when I had a seizure and thought my arm was severely broken. But, it's really not evil, it's great...I'll post some pictures from last year...

No comments: