Friday, May 2, 2008

update...

So, my "spot" is still there, and it hasn't gotten any better. I'm pretty sure I want a second opinion, but I'm not sure when I'll get to that.
I plan on driving at the end of May. I'm not sure if that is when my "six months" is over, but my seizures were never reported, so I'm technically clear to drive now. With the medication, my seizures are gone! :) That is such a blessing.
Since I'll be driving soon, we will be getting yet another car. This will be the SIXTH car that we've had since we got married in the summer of 2005. That is crazy!!! We had the two civics, the jeep, the CR-V, the CX-7, and now another new car. Wow, sometimes we get ourselves into bad situations. Although, we really didn't have a choice when it came to getting rid of the CR-V and jeep, we just couldn't have two cars when I wasn't able to drive. But, now I can, so now we get another car. We are going to get something with good gas mileage that Russell can drive. Our CX-7 gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, so it will be nice to have something that does better for him. He drives all day, everyday, so he needs something more economical.
I have a kid in my class that we have kind of adopted. Sometimes I wonder if we are doing the right thing with our time and money, but I think this is what we have been called to do. Kennie and Sarah are so special to us, and really like family. We didn't intend on getting attached to another kid, but we have. He is in my class this year. At the beginning of the year, I was warned about him. Apparently he can be a trouble maker, and I've learned this first hand. But, even though he could get himself into trouble, I could tell he was a good kid. I saw a ton of potential in him, but he was told other people he would never amount to anything. Seriously, people that WORK AT MY SCHOOL TOLD HIM THAT!! THAT HE WAS WORTHLESS!! How sad is that? Like that would encourage him to do the right thing? So, I decided we would prove them wrong. I got him signed up with Kennie's basketball team late in their winter season, and he was able to practice with them twice a week. This privledge completely changed his attitude and behavior. He started behaving and his grades went from failing to all A's and B's!!! Isn't that amazing?? Just a little bit of encouragement and something to work for was all he needed.
Last night Russell and I went to a "parents" meeting about signing him up for summer basketball. This is a select team, and he's not that good yet, but the coach is willing to let him play. So, we are signing him up and paying for that. Everything in me wants to not do this, because it's incredibly expensive, and kind of strange, I know. But I figure if it's what God wants, then it will be done. So, I can either kick and scream, keeping my blessing to myself, or I can willingly do as told. So, that's what we are doing. This will also involve some summer traveling with the team, it should be interesting. He is so excited, and so is Russell, so I guess I should be too! I'm thankful that I have a husband who supports my crazy desire to help these kids out, without ever questioning me.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Blaire, I think that is awesome that you and Russell are taking in this little boy from your class. Like you've already said, you're seeing his attitude and grades improve.

But more importantly, you're living out one of Christ's mandates to us - to care for the orphans. You are showing him through your love that there is a Father to the fatherless. The impact you will have in his life will probably change the course of his life and who knows how many countless other lives in his future. I really respect that!