Saturday, February 26, 2011

surgery and treatment...

This week I had surgery to have my port put in, and I had my first two treatments. The surgery went fairly well. Instead of trying to start an IV like usual, they did it under ultra sound to begin with, knowing I'm a difficult stick. Once they got that started, they got me prepped for surgery. I have a 6-8 inch cut on my chest (below my shoulder really), and a 1/2 inch cut on my neck. When I came to, and still now, the one on my neck hurt so much worse than the other, which I think is odd. I guess it's just the location. I went from day surgery to the oncologist office for my first iron treatment. I was given a test dose of iron, and then the regular dose. About 20 minutes after I got home, I had hives all over me, and was wheezing when I was breathing. I took some benadryl, and tried to rest. It didn't do much for the hives, but helped the wheezing. Later that night the wheezing came back, so I took more benadryl. The next morning I called the oncologist, told them what happened (and what was continuing to happen), and they wanted me in immediatley. I went in, they gave me some new medicine (a steroid and benadryl type RX), and sent me on my way. I guess it's helped, a little, but not too much. The area around where the port was placed is still very red, like it's sunburned. Apparently I was pretty allergic to the iron I was given. When I went back on Friday for my treatment, my levels looked worse than they started out at, and my iron was changed. Before they gave me my treatment, they gave me some benadryl and a steroid through my port. So far, the worst side effect I've had from this treatment has been nausea and general blah feeling. I spent a good majority of the day laying on the couch, in and out of sleep. Hopefully the treatments will start working and be worth it all in the end.
In the middle of the week, between all of this, I went to see my neurologist. He extended my disability until April 4th. It's not what I wanted, since I was scheduled to go back March 1st, but it's what he and Russell think is best. We are at the beginning of getting things done, and they don't want to jeopardize that progress. I'm thankful for such a patient husband, persistent doctors, and an ever present God. I'm very blessed.
Photobucket

No comments: